From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iscsitarget or targetcli?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:41:15
1 On Thursday, January 29, 2015 02:18:13 PM Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > On 29/01/15 11:25, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I want to set up an iSCSI server (target in iSCSI terminology) running on
6 > > Gentoo.
7 > > Does anyone know which of the following 2 are better:
8 > > - sys-block/iscsitarget
9 > > - sys-block/targetcli
10 > >
11 > > Both don't seem to have had an update for over 2 years, but targetcli
12 > > seems to be just the config-tool for whatever is in current kernels
13 > > where, I think, iscsitarget is a userspace daemon?
14 > >
15 > > Many thanks,
16 > >
17 > > Joost
18 >
19 > Hi,
20 >
21 > sys-block/iscsitarget is composed of a kernel module and a userspace
22 > daemon, both compiled and installed by the ebuild.
23
24 That's what I thought as well.
25
26 LIO / targetcli does seem to work and is implemented into the Linux kernel.
27
28 Is there anyone with actual experience with this together with Gentoo?
29 As I said, my initial quick tests showed that it works the way I want it to.
30
31 > I would second the recommendation for SCST, which is actively developed
32 > and in my experience is quite more stable and tends to recover better
33 > from unexpected events than sys-block/iscsitarget (I have used both for
34 > quite some time).
35 >
36 > The only downside of SCST is that it requires a bit more work to
37 > install, mainly because there is no ebuild for it; moreover, while it
38 > can be built against and run on a stock kernel, it comes with a couple
39 > of kernel patches which should be applied for optimal performance or are
40 > needed fot specific features (e.g. the vdisk backend).
41
42 I had a look at it, but the howtos I find are all based on older kernels
43 (2.6.x). I am currently using 3.14.27 for my testing as ZFS requires a kernel
44 older then 3.16.
45
46 I am reluctant to apply kernel patches, would prefer just some modules.
47 The documentation for installing SCST is scarcer then for LIO/targetcli. (The
48 latter has recent documentation on the Arch-linux site)
51 Joost