From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Flashing BIOS with Windows utility
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:40:24
1 On Thursday 21 January 2010 00:40:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:39:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > > Don't tell my motherboard that or it will refuse to update next time
4 > > > unless I run some program or other.
5 > >
6 > > So without a program to do flash updates (or at least some code
7 > > somewhere that might not be in .exe or ELF format) how does your
8 > > motherboard do flash updates?
9 >
10 > There's code somewhere of course, but no program to run. I just put the
11 > update file on a USB stick and hold down a key while booting. The code
12 > runs direct from the motherboard, there's no operating system
13 > requirement, it's a very civilized system.
14
15 Yes, very civilised.
16
17 I have a hacked-up-too-gazooks android phone that works the same way
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com