From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Flashing BIOS with Windows utility
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:22:00
1 On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 January 2010 00:40:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:39:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> > > Don't tell my motherboard that or it will refuse to update next time
5 >> > > unless I run some program or other.
6 >> >
7 >> > So without a program to do flash updates (or at least some code
8 >> > somewhere that might not be in .exe or ELF format) how does your
9 >> > motherboard do flash updates?
10 >>
11 >> There's code somewhere of course, but no program to run. I just put the
12 >> update file on a USB stick and hold down a key while booting. The code
13 >> runs direct from the motherboard, there's no operating system
14 >> requirement, it's a very civilized system.
15 >
16 > Yes, very civilised.
17 >
18 > I have a hacked-up-too-gazooks android phone that works the same way
21 It doesn't help Grant (at least directly) but the new Intel MB I got
22 to replace my 5 year old Asus which fried last week lists 4 ways to
23 update BIOS:
24
25 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18509&ProdId=3142&lang=eng
26
27 The fourth is specifically for Linux systems.
28
29 - Mark