From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The Great Macbook Update 2: How to brace for xorg
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:18:09
1 bn ha scritto:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Second thread of help with my Macbook upgrade of essentials which I
5 > don't upgrade since a long time.
6 >
7 > Now I have to prepare to jump from xorg-1.3 to xorg-1.6. I've seen
8 > already there are a lot of horror stories in the mailing list and a lot
9 > of weird instructions about hal, evdev etc.
10 >
11 > Before starting, I have some pre-emptive question:
12 > - Is using hal for xorg necessary?
13 > - If I want xorg to use the same old config files of before, is it
14 > enough to compile with -hal ? Is there a way to tell xorg "dynamically"
15 > to use hal or not, so that I can check without recompiling but just by
16 > restarting X?
17 > - I have the keymap (an Italian Macbook keyboard) customized in the , so
18 > that, for example, apple key works as Alt-Gr. To keep such
19 > customizations on (which, I admit, I don't remember well where they are,
20 > but maybe someone of you does! it was in the Gentoo Wiki but now I see
21 > the relevant part is no more), is it again good to let xorg use xorg.conf?
22 > - Anything else I should be aware of, like stuff to put into xorg.conf
23 > before trying to restart X?
24
25 Ok, I updated, and (miracolously enough) xorg 1.6 + hal/evdev mostly works!
26 Only thing I have to put back in shape is the keyboard mapping. I have
27 seen how to force hal policy to use the IT mapping, but I lost most
28 customizations I needed:
29 - key F11 mimicking the middle mouse button
30 - apple key mimicking Alt-Gr
31
32 and I don't find much information on how to do this with HAL. Any hint?
33 (Oddly enough, one of the past customizations I had, key F12=right mouse
34 button, still works.)
35
36 Thanks,
37 M.