From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing new versions of gentoo-sources…
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:18:53
1 On 6/20/19 12:47 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:16:21 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >
4 >> I was thinking about this for a bit, and thought that maybe adding the
5 >> slot to the package in /var/lib/portage/world would work.
6 >
7 > Every release has a separate slot, so this would never offer updates, no
8 > matter how minor. However, you may find emerge world wanting to downgrade
9 > if your chosen versions are no longer in the tree.
10
11 I guess I'll find out when that happens. I was just seeing if this would
12 work.
15 >> So, using `emerge --select` and `emerge --deselect` I set up my world
16 >> file this way:
17 >>
18 >> # grep -i gentoo-sources /var/lib/portage/world
19 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.105-r1
20 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.114
21 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.83
22 >>
23 >> I removed all other kernel packages manually so only those three are
24 >> installed.
25 >>
26 >> However, portage still wants to install the latest gentoo-sources, even
27 >> though the generic "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" is absent from the world
28 >> file.
29 >
30 > Do you have anything depending on virtual/linux-sources? That pulls in
31 > gentoo-sources with no version limits.
35 Ah-ha! Thanks for the tip! nvidia-drivers does indeed depend on
36 virtual/linux-sources. I've put "virtual/linux-sources-3" in
37 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided as a test and now it will not pull
38 in the newest version.
39
40 I always have a kernel installed with a valid symlink so that's not an
41 issue putting it in package.provided.
42
43 So the above does work. You can specify a slot in the world file and
44 remove the generic "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" and it won't pull in a
45 newer kernel.
46
47 I check regularly with eshowkw to see what's been stabilized for
48 gentoo-sources anyway, now I don't have to worry about portage
49 installing a kernel version I don't need.
50
51 This way it'll only pull in a kernel version when I ask it to. Excellent.
52
53 Dan