From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Font recommendations for netbook?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:15:40
1 On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:27:47PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
2
3 > Speaking of Fluxbox, I have it installed. I've experimented with some
4 > fonts. I find that regardless of the fonts I install, xterm runs a
5 > tiny, almost unreadable font. And what's worse, I *CANNOT* resize the
6 > font. xterm totally ignores anything I set by hitting
7 > {CTRL}{RIGHT-CLICK} inside an xterm. Any ideas?
8
9 It was a case of "picky, picky, picky". My desktop machine has a
10 gazillion fonts installed. Not so the netbook. When I try to set the
11 the xterm font, "cannot load font" error messages show up in the text
12 console from which it was launched. Here are the fonts that it tries to
13 load, and the corresponding menu item...
14
15 nil2 - Unreadable
16 5x7 - Tiny
17 6x10 - Small
18 7x13 - Medium
19 9x15 - Large
20 10x20 - Huge
21
22 I don't happen to have those *EXACT* sizes installed on the netbook,
23 hence the error messages. I find that if I launch xterm with the
24 command "xterm -fn -monotype" it comes up at a nice readable size. With
25 the help of xfontsel, I can find what font families and sizes I do have
26 and launch xterm with those fonts. A bit of RTFM turned up some info
27 about how to control the expected font for each of the menu entries via
28 resource files...
29
30 Default (fontdefault) - *VT100.font resource.
31 Unreadable (font1) - *VT100.font1 resource.
32 Tiny (font2) - *VT100.font2 resource.
33 Small (font3) - *VT100.font3 resource.
34 Medium (font4) - *VT100.font4 resource.
35 Large (font5) - *VT100.font5 resource.
36 Huge (font6) - *VT100.font6 resource.
37
38 So it should be a one-time job to enter the proper values in a
39 resource file and xterm will be happy.
42 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>