From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a restricted user
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:36:52
1 On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 schrieb Grant:
3
4 > > I've noticed when adding this kind of a user in the past they are able to
5 > > look at files all around the system that I'd prefer they can't.
6 >
7 > Why? System directories look nearly the same on any Linux system, so it
8 > doesn't really make sense to restrict read access to them. For other,
9 > private directories you could take away permissions for "others" (i.e.
10 > chmod 750 mydir) and in addition _don't_ put that user in the users group,
11 > or use ACLs for more fine grained access control (see man getfacl, man
12 > setfacl).
13
14 Only to add to the above that as an alternative to having a users group for
15 all your users you can instead create a <user_name> group for each user_name.
16 This way you isolate your users from each other as long as the
17 user_name:users ownerships become user_name:user_name.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick