From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a restricted user
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:12:51
1 Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 schrieb Grant:
2
3 > I don't want the user to be able to do much of anything but browse the web,
4 > use skype, and maybe look at photos on a CD or something.
5
6 Maybe what you want can be achieved by running KDE in kiosk mode. However,
7 never did this myself, so you should search kde.org or Google for the
8 details.
9
10 > I've noticed when adding this kind of a user in the past they are able to
11 > look at files all around the system that I'd prefer they can't.
12
13 Why? System directories look nearly the same on any Linux system, so it
14 doesn't really make sense to restrict read access to them. For other, private
15 directories you could take away permissions for "others" (i.e. chmod 750
16 mydir) and in addition _don't_ put that user in the users group, or use ACLs
17 for more fine grained access control (see man getfacl, man setfacl).
18
19 HTH...
20
21 Dirk