From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:18
1 Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 13:51:28 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 > On Apr 11, 2012 1:15 PM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote
4 > >
5 > > > I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short
6 > > > of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the
7 > > > industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds
8 > > > increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible
9 > > > with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older
10 > > > model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade
11 > > > your motherboard in a year's time.
12 > >
13 > > I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
14 > >
15 > > webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg Is
16 > > the long black slot PCIe? What's the short black slot?
17 >
18 > The long black slot looks like PCIe. To be precise, PCIe x16. The short
19 > black slot is PCIe x1, (originally) meant for low-bandwidth devices like a
20 > fax modem.
21
22 oh so wrong. Even a single PCIe lane is faster than an entire PCI bus.
23
24 More like SATA controllers, usb-3.0 controllers, high end sound cards.
25
26 For slow crap you have usb.
29 > For games with huge 3D textures, absolutely. For video playback, not so
30 > much.
33 em, just compare a 1080p with amd+working va-api backend in vlc and without.
34 Huge difference.
35
36 > But the main point would be that the newest graphics cards are all released
37 > in PCIe version only, and future mobos will all support PCIe, so it's a
38 > future-safe investment.
39
40 and all current. Really, can you even get agp based boards anymore? agp is
41 dead. PCI is as good as dead...
42 ,
43 --
44 #163933