From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:09:15
1 Am 11.04.2012 18:33, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 13:51:28 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
3 >>
4 [...]
5 >>
6 >> But the main point would be that the newest graphics cards are all released
7 >> in PCIe version only, and future mobos will all support PCIe, so it's a
8 >> future-safe investment.
9 >
10 > and all current. Really, can you even get agp based boards anymore? agp is
11 > dead. PCI is as good as dead...
12 > ,
13
14 OT:
15
16 I still have use for PCI graphics: I needed to refit two PCs with dual
17 port PCIe ethernet adapters. These only come with 4x PCie and many
18 boards only have 1x PCIe slots (aside of their PEG port). So I used an
19 old PCI graphics card and put the network adapter in the PEG slot.
20
21 With one board (cheap MSI) it worked; the other one (expensive Intel)
22 didn't work because the chipset apparently detected the network adapter
23 as a graphics adapter even though PCI had higher priority in the BIOS
24 settings.
25
26 Regards,
27 Florian Philipp