From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:28:50
1 Hi.
2
3 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4
5 > > > Would the type of filesystem encryption you guys are talking about
6 > > > be unsuitable for a high-traffic server because of performance
7 > > > considerations?
8 > >
9 > > Yes, and it isn't necessary. You lock your servers away so that nobody
10 > > has physical access to them.
11
12 I'd rather say: "... so that only trusted people have ...". But besides
13 this nitpick, I agree with you.
16 > Sounds like co-location right?
17
18 No. Sounds like "build your own data center" :)
19
20 > I just have a hosted dedicated
21 > machine.
22
23 This means that you've got to trust the people hosting your
24 environment. If you don't, then move away! You know, they
25 could "easily" install a traffic sniffers and whatnot.
26
27 > The thing that's always kept me from co-locating is hardware
28 > failure. That would be a "my problem" in a co-located environment
29 > rather than a "their problem" right?
30
31 Depends on your contract, but generally speaking, you're right, yes.
32
33 Michael
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list