From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:26:21
1 > > > > > On a notebook, there isn't an OS in existence that is immune
2 > > > > > to a LiveCD.
3 > > > >
4 > > > > Linux is. In the sense that you can't get at the data if the
5 > > > > disc is encrypted, even not with a LiveCD. You can only
6 > > > > destroy/overwrite it.
7 > > >
8 > > > Yes, I realised that when typing the original, but left it as is
9 > > > - too many IF conditionals would be needed to be accurate and
10 > > > English is almost useless at getting IFs to parse correctly :-)
11 > > >
12 > > > Passwords come from a time when users had terminals that log
13 > > > onto machines that are somewhere else and the user can't lay a
14 > > > finger on them. Things have indeed changed since 1978
15 > >
16 > > Would the type of filesystem encryption you guys are talking about
17 > > be unsuitable for a high-traffic server because of performance
18 > > considerations?
19 >
20 > Yes, and it isn't necessary. You lock your servers away so that nobody
21 > has physical access to them.
22
23 Sounds like co-location right? I just have a hosted dedicated
24 machine. The thing that's always kept me from co-locating is hardware
25 failure. That would be a "my problem" in a co-located environment
26 rather than a "their problem" right?
27
28 - Grant
31 > It's only interesting for workstations, laptops and external storage
32 > devices.
35 > Uwe
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list