From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp/notmpfs - does not exist
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 16:03:51
1 On 09/05/2015 08:30 AM, Dale wrote:
2 [snip]
5 > Well, you can leave that in fstab for when you can use it. This is my
6 > understanding. Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs speeds up the
7 > compile because it is done in memory instead of a hard drive. Thing is,
8 > there may be times when some packages don't have enough space to
9 > compile, you run out of tmpfs basically. One example, libreoffice which
10 > uses a lot. I've also found that Firefox also uses a lot of space too.
11 > Of course, I have enough memory at the moment for both to compile. You
12 > may not tho.
13 >
14 > When you don't have enough for say Libreoffice to compile on tmpfs, you
15 > then set a exception for that package. That is where notmpfs comes in.
16 > That allows you to use tmpfs for all the other packages but puts it back
17 > on spinning rust for that package, and any other package you set it for
18 > such as Firefox.
19 >
20 > So, if you have the memory even for large packages like Libreoffice,
21 > just remove the notmpfs part and leave fstab like it was. Basically,
22 > ignore that part of the wiki since you don't need to set that. If you
23 > have say 6GBs of ram, you would need that line in fstab AND the part
24 > about notmpfs. You would not be able to compile Libreoffice with that
25 > small amount of ram and even Firefox may not either.
26 >
27 > Does that clear up the muddy waters any or am I making it worse? Maybe
28 > the better question would be, how much memory does your rig have on it?
29 > Then folks can advise on where to go based on that. ;-)
30 >
31 > Dale
32
33 Thanks Dale for explanation.
34 I have 8GB RAM and with fstab:
35 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs defaults 0 0
36
37 it creates 3.9Gb ram disk but that is not enough for firefox I think my default setup was OK with:
38 /etc/portage/package.env
39 /etc/portage/env/notmpfs.conf
40
41 Thelma