From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp/notmpfs - does not exist
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 14:30:19
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 09/04/2015 11:52 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> When I try to run emerge on my system I get:
5 >>>
6 >>> ...
7 >>> * Your boot partition was not mounted at /boot, so it will be automounted for you.
8 >>> * Files will be installed there for grub to function correctly.
9 >>>>>> Running pre-merge checks for dev-db/mysql-5.6.26
10 >>>>>> Running pre-merge checks for net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.9-r200
11 >>>>>> Running pre-merge checks for mail-client/thunderbird-38.2.0
12 >>> The directory specified in your PORTAGE_TMPDIR variable, '/var/tmp/notmpfs',
13 >>> does not exist. Please create this directory or correct your PORTAGE_TMPDIR setting.
14 >>>
15 >>> my fstab:
16 >>> ...
17 >>> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
18 >>> shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults,nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
19 >>> tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs defaults 0 0
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>> ll /var/tmp/
23 >>> total 0
24 >>> drwxrwxrwt 4 portage portage 80 Sep 4 23:04 portage
25 >>>
26 >>> Do I need to create dir: /var/tmp/notmpfs ?
27 >>> My other systems did not show any such message.
28 >>>
29 >>
30 >> Are you trying to have portage's work directory on tmpfs? If so, I have
31 >> this in fstab:
32 >>
33 >> tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs noatime 0 0
34 >>
35 >> I don't have anything in fstab for PORTAGE_TMPDIR tho. According to
36 >> this, you do need to create the directory if you are making exceptions.
37 >>
38 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs#Per-Package_Choices_at_Compile_Time
39 >>
40 >> |root #||mkdir /var/tmp/notmpfs |
41 >> |root #||chown portage:portage /var/tmp/notmpfs |
42 >> |root #||chmod 775 /var/tmp/notmpfs
43 >>
44 >> Hope that helps.
45 >>
46 >> Dale
47 > I had this configuration already set:
48 > /etc/portage/env/notmpfs.conf
49 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp/notmpfs"
50 >
51 > /etc/portage/package.env
52 > mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
53 > www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
54 >
55 > What was missing was only directory:
56 > /var/tmp/notmpfs
57 >
58 > I'll remove "tmpfs" from fstab
61 > Thelma.
66 Well, you can leave that in fstab for when you can use it. This is my
67 understanding. Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs speeds up the
68 compile because it is done in memory instead of a hard drive. Thing is,
69 there may be times when some packages don't have enough space to
70 compile, you run out of tmpfs basically. One example, libreoffice which
71 uses a lot. I've also found that Firefox also uses a lot of space too.
72 Of course, I have enough memory at the moment for both to compile. You
73 may not tho.
74
75 When you don't have enough for say Libreoffice to compile on tmpfs, you
76 then set a exception for that package. That is where notmpfs comes in.
77 That allows you to use tmpfs for all the other packages but puts it back
78 on spinning rust for that package, and any other package you set it for
79 such as Firefox.
80
81 So, if you have the memory even for large packages like Libreoffice,
82 just remove the notmpfs part and leave fstab like it was. Basically,
83 ignore that part of the wiki since you don't need to set that. If you
84 have say 6GBs of ram, you would need that line in fstab AND the part
85 about notmpfs. You would not be able to compile Libreoffice with that
86 small amount of ram and even Firefox may not either.
87
88 Does that clear up the muddy waters any or am I making it worse? Maybe
89 the better question would be, how much memory does your rig have on it?
90 Then folks can advise on where to go based on that. ;-)
91
92 Dale
93
95
96 P. S. I type to dang slow. I see Alan has posted too. ROFL