From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot System Setup
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:07:46
1 Am Dienstag, den 24.01.2006, 16:17 +0930 schrieb Iain Buchanan:
2 > On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 22:05 -0800, Ryan Tandy wrote:
3 > > Iain Buchanan wrote:
4 > >
5 > > <massive snippage>
6 >
7 > > >1. use the windows to chain-boot linux (possible, but I don't know what
8 > > >for :)
9 > > >
10 > > <even more massive snippage>
11 > >
12 > > Sorry, this isn't possible - I should know, I've tried in the past.
13 > > Wasted too much time on it, too. Windows can only multi-boot with other
14 > > Windows. And if you've managed to get it to do otherwise, please tell
15 > > me how!
16 >
17 > Aha, the old "I've tried it and it didn't work for me so it's not
18 > possible" trick ;)
21 I have to second that. There's not much magic in letting Windows 2K and
22 above boot alien OSes. boot.ini is the one you have to deal with.
23
24 > I do remember trying it with windows 2000, and I think I got it to boot
25 > my redhat install, back in the days. I vaguely remember something about
26 > editing .ini or .sys or something files on windows, but I don't have
27 > windows 2000 or redhat any more. And you know what they say about
28 > memories being created, so it may (or may not) be possible :)
29 > --
30 > Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
31 >
32 > <Deek> If the user points the gun at his foot and pulls the trigger, it
33 > is our job to ensure the bullet gets where it's supposed to.
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list