From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to stem the flood of new packages?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:32:49
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2013-02-11, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> <whinge>
5 >>> I tried doing an "emerge -auvND world" today. It's been three days
6 >>> since the previous update, and today portage wants to update 1 package
7 >>> and install _35_new_ones_.
8 >>>
9 >>> Seriously? 35 new packages that I have to install on Monday that I
10 >>> didn't have to have the previous Friday? A few of them are virtual
11 >>> packages, but the vast majority are actual package that I neither want
12 >>> nor need (other than to satisfy a requirement imposed by a new USE
13 >>> flag that defaults to "on" when it should have defaulted to "off").
14 >>>
15 >>> I realize that every developer thinks think their pariticular package
16 >>> is the greatest thing ever and should be installed on everything since
17 >>> the TI SR-54 calculator, but this seems a bit silly...
18 >>> </whinge>
19 >>>
20 >> Well, use the -t option to see what pulls in what.
21 > I did. I turned off about a half-dozen new USE flags and elminated 30
22 > of the new packages. My point was that in general when new stuff is
23 > added, the default behavior should be "same as before" (IMO).
24 >
25 >> Also, disable some USE flags that you don't want/need. Also, could
26 >> some of this be the profile change?
27 > Ah, that could be. When the old profile went away I picked the
28 > generic "desktop" option. Eselect didn't seem to be able to tell me
29 > what profile I had selected previously.
33 Well, like with everything else, I think they are working on making
34 eselect tell you what you had or "suggest" the replacement for you.
35 Naturally, this is a few days late. I think Alan pointed out this has
36 been happening a good bit here lately. Does someone need a switch to
37 dust some britches with or what? Someone is being naughty. lol
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!