From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to stem the flood of new packages?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:16:20
1 On 2013-02-11, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> <whinge>
4 >> I tried doing an "emerge -auvND world" today. It's been three days
5 >> since the previous update, and today portage wants to update 1 package
6 >> and install _35_new_ones_.
7 >>
8 >> Seriously? 35 new packages that I have to install on Monday that I
9 >> didn't have to have the previous Friday? A few of them are virtual
10 >> packages, but the vast majority are actual package that I neither want
11 >> nor need (other than to satisfy a requirement imposed by a new USE
12 >> flag that defaults to "on" when it should have defaulted to "off").
13 >>
14 >> I realize that every developer thinks think their pariticular package
15 >> is the greatest thing ever and should be installed on everything since
16 >> the TI SR-54 calculator, but this seems a bit silly...
17 >> </whinge>
20 > Well, use the -t option to see what pulls in what.
21
22 I did. I turned off about a half-dozen new USE flags and elminated 30
23 of the new packages. My point was that in general when new stuff is
24 added, the default behavior should be "same as before" (IMO).
25
26 > Also, disable some USE flags that you don't want/need. Also, could
27 > some of this be the profile change?
28
29 Ah, that could be. When the old profile went away I picked the
30 generic "desktop" option. Eselect didn't seem to be able to tell me
31 what profile I had selected previously.
34 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I Know A Joke!!
35 at
36 gmail.com