From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: using eclipse with java
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:23:02
1 <gottlieb <at> nyu.edu> writes:
4 > I am a CS prof at NYU, which uses Java for CS 101.
5
6 Haven't been part of a U, since I was asked to leave; all my students
7 were making to much money consulting and did not want those tuition waivers
8 or TA paychecks..... Are things any better now ?
11 > wiki.eclipse.org but am not sure where to go to from here.
12
13 Your not alone. Elipse is a constantly morphing ecosystem where billion
14 dollar boys twist the future for their $elfish reason$.
15
16 For example, TI installes Code Composer on top of eclipse for their
17 "internet of things" embedded linux development ecosystem: Sitara.
18
19 http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Installing_CCS_over_Eclipse
20
21 The other semiconductors houses likewise. Many BSP (Board Support Packages)
22 for newly offered embedded linux system, involve eclipse in some major or
23 minor way. This approach better integrate support from the SemiConductor
24 company's point of view for both winblowz and *nix platforms. Most of the
25 embedded linux kernel vendors, such as MontaVista are similarly using Eclipse:
26
27 http://www.mvista.com/development-tools.html
28
29 If you guys are deep into hardware at NYU, I'd suggest getting friendly with
30 one of the big semiconductor houses, via a local FAE or rep. firm and see
31 what kind of goodies you can get. I use to get hundreds of thousands of
32 dollars in toys from SemiConductor companies, while at a U. You just got to
33 talk to them and find the "embedded hotshots" as they like hanging at the U,
34 imho. Many are hard core coders and still unmarried so those dergraduate
35 females are of keen value to a total solution community at the U, imho! I
36 know, I married the worlds smartest female embedded coder, had 3 kids and
37 retired as a single entrepreneur.
38
39 Dam, I'm now missing that sort of (U)) fun.....
40
41 Also the FPGA companies are hugely into everything Eclipse, too.
42
43 Windows environments are huge with Eclipse, as much of corporate America
44 is still trying to make Java, the end to all means..... So Eclipse becomes
45 the bridge between the business college weenies and the engineering groups.
46 Most business schools teach and use java; Java + Database is huge in the
47 business world.
50 Still, Elipse holds interests for me too:
51
52 http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.eclipsescada/
55 So my sugestions is to participate in the NYU "Elipse Thinktank" to see
56 what exactly they are planning for Eclipse. It's a huge "ecosystem
57 (echo_system?)" and everybody is lost, but prtenders abound.... ymmv.
60 Gentoo has not always robustly embraced Java, as Python is the
61 big daddy here, imho. So once you find out where NYU is headed for Eclipse
62 you'll be just fine. Be careful, or you could easily be leading the charge:
63 Java, Java, mocha Java....
66 hth, cheers!
67 James