From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Laptop graphics card broken??
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:05:12
1 2006/10/20, Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>:
2 >
3 > On Friday 20 October 2006 21:10, José González Gómez wrote:
4 > > Sorry for the off track, but I'm totally lost regarding this, and I
5 > thought
6 > > maybe somebody could shed some light on this...
7 > >
8 > > I've got an Acer Aspire 1520 with an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 and a dual
9 > > Gentoo Linux/Windows install. The problem is that the graphics card
10 > seems
11 > > to be broken, at least partially: whenever I start the laptop the screen
12 > is
13 > > off, and here comes the weird part, if I select Gentoo from the grub
14 > boot
15 > > (I know where the options are, so I can select it even with the screen
16 > off)
17 > > the screen keeps off, but if I select Windows, the screen gets on, but
18 > only
19 > > when Windows reach the login screen, not before. By the way, the laptop
20 > > fell some time ago from around a meter high, but after that kept on
21 > > working, although I had some sporadic hangs on Linux, with the screen
22 > > showing kind of light snow noise, almost always playing Battle of
23 > Wesnoth.
24 > >
25 > > The only logical explanation I can think of, unless I'm totally retarded
26 > > and missing something clearly obvious, is that the card (or the screen)
27 > > seems to be working only at some resolution/color depth/frequency
28 > > combination ( 1280x800@60, 32bit), and that I'm not using the working
29 > > combination at Linux, but this seems really strange and I haven't heard
30 > of
31 > > anything like this before.
32 > >
33 > > Anyone has any idea on this? What could I check to further diagnose the
34 > > problem? Any solution? Am I missing anything?????
35 >
36 > You could try a linux livecd and see what that does.
39 The same, the screen keeps off... anyway, this seems to be random: I have
40 just restarted the computer while making tests and one of the times the
41 screen functioned normally.
42
43 And are there any settings regarding the screen in the BIOS?
46 I cannot access the BIOS, as the screen shows nothing until Windows starts.
47
48 Thanks, best regards
49 Jose