From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Laptop graphics card broken??
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:39:49
1 On Friday 20 October 2006 21:10, José González Gómez wrote:
2 > Sorry for the off track, but I'm totally lost regarding this, and I thought
3 > maybe somebody could shed some light on this...
4 >
5 > I've got an Acer Aspire 1520 with an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 and a dual
6 > Gentoo Linux/Windows install. The problem is that the graphics card seems
7 > to be broken, at least partially: whenever I start the laptop the screen is
8 > off, and here comes the weird part, if I select Gentoo from the grub boot
9 > (I know where the options are, so I can select it even with the screen off)
10 > the screen keeps off, but if I select Windows, the screen gets on, but only
11 > when Windows reach the login screen, not before. By the way, the laptop
12 > fell some time ago from around a meter high, but after that kept on
13 > working, although I had some sporadic hangs on Linux, with the screen
14 > showing kind of light snow noise, almost always playing Battle of Wesnoth.
15 >
16 > The only logical explanation I can think of, unless I'm totally retarded
17 > and missing something clearly obvious, is that the card (or the screen)
18 > seems to be working only at some resolution/color depth/frequency
19 > combination ( 1280x800@60, 32bit), and that I'm not using the working
20 > combination at Linux, but this seems really strange and I haven't heard of
21 > anything like this before.
22 >
23 > Anyone has any idea on this? What could I check to further diagnose the
24 > problem? Any solution? Am I missing anything?????
25
26 You could try a linux livecd and see what that does.
27 And are there any settings regarding the screen in the BIOS?
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list