From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Laptop graphics card broken??
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:14:38
1 Sorry for the off track, but I'm totally lost regarding this, and I thought
2 maybe somebody could shed some light on this...
3
4 I've got an Acer Aspire 1520 with an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 and a dual
5 Gentoo Linux/Windows install. The problem is that the graphics card seems to
6 be broken, at least partially: whenever I start the laptop the screen is
7 off, and here comes the weird part, if I select Gentoo from the grub boot (I
8 know where the options are, so I can select it even with the screen off) the
9 screen keeps off, but if I select Windows, the screen gets on, but only when
10 Windows reach the login screen, not before. By the way, the laptop fell some
11 time ago from around a meter high, but after that kept on working, although
12 I had some sporadic hangs on Linux, with the screen showing kind of light
13 snow noise, almost always playing Battle of Wesnoth.
14
15 The only logical explanation I can think of, unless I'm totally retarded and
16 missing something clearly obvious, is that the card (or the screen) seems to
17 be working only at some resolution/color depth/frequency combination (
18 1280x800@60, 32bit), and that I'm not using the working combination at
19 Linux, but this seems really strange and I haven't heard of anything like
20 this before.
21
22 Anyone has any idea on this? What could I check to further diagnose the
23 problem? Any solution? Am I missing anything?????
24
25 Thanks in advance, best regards
26 Jose