From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub installation problem
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:46:38
1 Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@×××××××××××.fr> writes:
2
3 > Le 12/01/2011 20:07, Nuno J. Silva a écrit :
4 >> Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@×××××××××××.fr> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi all,
7 >>>
8 >>> I am installing Gentoo on a new pc and following the Gentoo manual.
9 >>> I create primary partition sda3 for boot with ext3 file system, then
10 >>> Extended partition for
11 >>> swap sda5
12 >>> / sda6 with reiserfs file system
13 >>> /usr sda7 with reiserfs file system
14 >>> /home sda8 with reiserfs fiel system.
15 >>>
16 >>> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
17 >>> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
18 >>> /boot, is read-only.
19 >>> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
20 >>> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
21 >>> Read-only file system.
22 >>>
23 >>> What's going on ???
24 >> I would check if there is any error or warning in the kernel log when
25 >> that happens.
26 >>
27 >> just do
28 >> dmesg | tail
29 >>
30 >> after the error, to check the last lines in the log.
31 >>
32 > Ther is no error message : just the lines
33 > EXT3-fs (sda3): using internal journal
34
35 So there is no filesystem issue. Errors sometimes result in the
36 partition being remounted readonly.
37
38 Stroller has a point, read his post. As the mounted partitions list is
39 inside /proc, if you forgot to mount that, then maybe the ebuild can't
40 just find out /boot is actually mounted. There are probably other things
41 that might not work if you don't mount these partitions, so just to be
42 sure, check if you did that :-)
43
44 > I see some warning about "to avoid automounting and auto-installing with
45 > /boot,
46 > just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable"
47 >
48 > How can i do that ?
49
50 writing (and executing)