From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:27:41
1 On Jan 11, 2008 11:29 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
3 >
4 > > Gentoo is NOT "plug in and go", it is a complex scheme that allows you
5 > > to build other distros.
6 >
7 > Exactly.
8 > Moreover, I'd go on to say that the fact Gentoo is installable from
9 > almost every reasonable Linux-based live cd is a defining Gentoo
10 > feature. The real Gentoo installer is the combination of the tarball
11 > (the data) and the manual (the algorithms).
12 >
13 > The fact that an "official" Gentoo live cd exists is just a happy gift
14 > from developers, and a way to guarantee that there is a reference
15 > environment from which Gentoo can be installed.
16 >
17 > While nearly every other distro requires its own live cd installer,
18 > Gentoo (or any Gentoo-like system) requires just a working live cd and a
19 > stage tarball. From there, you go. It's *you* that decide *your*
20 > installation environment, depending on *your* needs. I used Knoppix
21 > once, and Kubuntu another; I think I've never used the "official" Gentoo CD.
24 True. I may be going OT here, but I think that another feature is that
25 when you realise you can install Gentoo from any working environment
26 with basic support, you expect people to think "out of the box".
27 Sincerely, that's something the world is desperatly in need. Linux by
28 itself is "Darwinist" [1]. People need to get more knowledge to make
29 it suits their needs or enhance performance. My whole experience with
30 Gentoo, command line and deep system configuration makes it a breeze
31 to deal with any distro out there. That's what make this community one
32 (if not THE) best knowledge base I've ever seen.
33
34 [1] http://www.meiobit.com/a_principal_vantagem_do_linux_e_ser_darwinista
35 [in portuguese]
38 Daniel da Veiga
39
40 Filosofia de TI: Programadores de verdade consideram o conceito "o que
41 você vê é o que você tem" tão ruim em editores de texto quanto em
42 mulheres. Não, o programador de verdade quer um editor de texto do
43 estilo "você pediu, você levou" - complicado, indecifrável, poderoso,
44 impiedoso, perigoso.