From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:09:06
1 Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
2
3 > Gentoo is NOT "plug in and go", it is a complex scheme that allows you
4 > to build other distros.
5
6 Exactly.
7 Moreover, I'd go on to say that the fact Gentoo is installable from
8 almost every reasonable Linux-based live cd is a defining Gentoo
9 feature. The real Gentoo installer is the combination of the tarball
10 (the data) and the manual (the algorithms).
11
12 The fact that an "official" Gentoo live cd exists is just a happy gift
13 from developers, and a way to guarantee that there is a reference
14 environment from which Gentoo can be installed.
15
16 While nearly every other distro requires its own live cd installer,
17 Gentoo (or any Gentoo-like system) requires just a working live cd and a
18 stage tarball. From there, you go. It's *you* that decide *your*
19 installation environment, depending on *your* needs. I used Knoppix
20 once, and Kubuntu another; I think I've never used the "official" Gentoo CD.
21
22 m.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list