From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:19:01
1 On Saturday 12 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
2 > > I mean dealing with Gentoo components versions sounds sensible....
3 > > watching GRML/Knoppix/whatever website for a Gentoo
4 > > install...surely less.
5 >
6 > As I said in the thread earlier, do not bind your mind to the idea
7 > that "you need gentoo to install gentoo", the fact is, you don't. The
8 > installation steps from knoppixCD/GRML is almost identical to those
9 > from a Gentoo CD, with only one exception: they don't come with
10 > /mnt/gentoo, so you'll have to mkdir /mnt/gentoo, but if that makes
11 > it less sensible as you claimed, I'm afraid I can't agree.
12
13 Without trying to be a complete dick here, I think Gavelsky has not yet
14 100% comprehended the essential difference between Gentoo and binary
15 distros:
16
17 Gentoo is NOT "plug in and go", it is a complex scheme that allows you
18 to build other distros. It is not suitable for newbies (disregard the
19 occasional newbie that does get it right, that's a minority and very
20 atypical), and one really does have to have moved beyond the "Oh, look!
21 Shiny installer!" mentality to appreciate it. When you get to that
22 stage, you appreciate that you need a bootstrap system to build the
23 first stages of your own distro, and you can get that bootstrap system
24 from any place you feel like getting it from.
25
26 Anybody that feels they *need* or *must have* an official Gentoo
27 installer is probably the wrong target market and should be referred to
28 other distros that will suit their needs better. This is not a troll or
29 an elitist statement, it's just recognizing what gentoo is and what it
30 isn't - it's not a distro suitable for someone to whom chroot isn't yet
31 second nature.
32
33 I could give a traditional car analogy with kit cars, but I think I'm
34 into dead horse territory already
35
36 alan
41 Alan McKinnon