From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:22:08
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > to build other distros. It is not suitable for newbies (disregard the
3 > occasional newbie that does get it right, that's a minority and very
4 > atypical), and one really does have to have moved beyond the "Oh, look!
5 > Shiny installer!" mentality to appreciate it. When you get to that
6 > stage, you appreciate that you need a bootstrap system to build the
7 > first stages of your own distro, and you can get that bootstrap system
8 > from any place you feel like getting it from.
9 >
10 I came to Gentoo at gentoo 1.2 / gentoo 1.4 (I don't remember the year
11 but it was around 2002). I was a GNU/Linux newbie who only knew RedHat
12 and didn't quite understand compiling kernels. Doing the install taught
13 me GNU/Linux and I'm better for it. I think newbies should try it, but
14 unfortunately a lot might be turned off because it's 'too much work'.
15 > Anybody that feels they *need* or *must have* an official Gentoo
16 > installer is probably the wrong target market and should be referred to
17 > other distros that will suit their needs better. This is not a troll or
18 > an elitist statement, it's just recognizing what gentoo is and what it
19 > isn't - it's not a distro suitable for someone to whom chroot isn't yet
20 > second nature.
21 >
22 I don't think it's an elitist statement, I agree in thinking that we
23 shouldn't cater to the lcd. There are plenty of distros out there that
24 work just fine and the greatest thing about FOSS is choice. If all of
25 the options are the same there's no point. Again though, I have to
26 disagree with the point that it's not for somebody whom chroot isn't yet
27 second nature: I learned chroot through the install. I've tried playing
28 around with Fedora / Ubunttu but I keep going back to Gentoo; it's my
29 favorite distro.
30
31 just my $0.02
32 eric