From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:57:27
1 On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  An answer from a different Walter <G>...
3 >
4 >> I also don't use pulse - plain ALSA is good enough for me - but looking
5 >> over the design goals for pulseaudio I see a decent attempt to deal
6 >> with audio properly for the future. These days we have computers and
7 >> devices that can interact with many other things in weird and
8 >> wonderful ways and software needs to deal with that.
9 >
10 > [...deletia...]
11 >
12 >> I just curious why you think that it's not useful to the ordinary
13 >> user in a generic wide way.
14 >
15 >  I'll throw the question back to you.  What specific benefits do you
16 > see?  Not just generalities, but real life benfits, please.
17
18 Bluetooth headset,configured with two or three clicks of a mouse. And
19 then reroute the sound of Skype (or whatever app) to the headset while
20 nice background music still plays on the speakers.
21
22 > Sound
23 > daemons in general seem to be solutions in search of a problem.  And if
24 > they couldn't find any problems to solve, they'd make up some new ones
25 > of their own.  I remember the first I heard of pulseaudio was all the
26 > weeping and moaning of people on this forum and the GTALUG (Toronto area
27 > linux mailing list) trying to get sound working again after installing
28 > pulseaudio.
29
30 Have you tried PulseAudio lately? I haven't heard complains in a long time.
31
32 >  Remember arts and esd?  They went the way of HAL.
33
34 Yeah, because they sucked. Pulse doesn't (haven't in a long time;
35 almost all the complains were made years ago). The architecture of esd
36 and aRts was wrong from the beginning; not necessarily the fault of
37 the devs, they were the first tries at a sound daemon. Pulse (which
38 was PolypAudio before) learn from those mistakes and then it had its
39 own set of evolving pains (that's when a lot of people, specially
40 using distributions packaging before time, complained about it).
41
42 HAL was different; it was to please the "lets be portable" crowd.
43 IMHO, it was doomed from the beginning.
44
45 >  Nuff said.  The
46 > thing to remember is that humans cannot multitask audio very well.  Try
47 > listening to 2 radio stations at once, and see what I mean.
48
49 Well, I talk with Skype and listen to background music all the time
50 (see above). And kids these days seem to be able to handle more data
51 streams at the same time; just some days ago I saw a 15yo cousin of
52 mine chatting on Skype while she heard background music *and* watched
53 and listened to a music video on YouTube.
54
55 Maybe this shiny new stuff is not for the old guys like us. But I
56 certainly like it; I love my blueetooth headset, and it "just works"
57 with PulseAudio and Bluez (and GNOME on top of them).
58
59 Regards.
60 --
61 Canek Peláez Valdés