From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Configuring hostapd
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 01:03:37
1 On Saturday, August 01, 2015 8:50:21 PM Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > After installing hostapd I can successfully connect to the AP, I can get
5 DHCP
6 > from it, but I cannot access the network through it (neither lan or
7 internet).
8 > This is an existing router box so iptables and everything else is already
9 > properly configured.
10 >
11 > I'm using this minimal config:
12 >
13 > interface=wlp0s10
14 > #driver=nl80211
15 > hw_mode=g
16 > channel=6
17 > #ieee80211d=1
18 > #country_code=FR
19 > #ieee80211n=1
20 > #wmm_enabled=1
21 >
22 > ssid=LinuxAP
23 > auth_algs=1
24 > wpa=2
25 > wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
26 > rsn_pairwise=CCMP
27 > wpa_passphrase=hello linux ap
28 >
29 > iw list shows the following supported modes:
30 > * IBSS
31 > * managed
32 > * AP
33 > * AP/VLAN
34 > * monitor
35 >
36 > The ebuild warns that in order for hostapd to work I need to set the card in
37 > master mode (the wiki makes no mention of it). But when I try to do that
38 > (either through the net init scripts or through iwconfig) I get the following
39 > error:
40 >
41 > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
42 > SET failed on device wlp0s10 ; Invalid argument.
43 >
44 > However after starting hostapd it appears that it was able to set the card
46 > master mode according to iwconfig:
47 >
48 > wlp0s10 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Master Tx-Power=20 dBm
49 > Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
50 > Power Management:off
51 >
52 > So, is this card supported or not? Will I be able to connect and get dhcp
53 from
54 > the server if it didn't? Avahi also _sortof_ works. If I add the wifi card to
55 > the deny-interfaces list on avahi-daemon.conf and try to ping the AP using
56 the
57 > avahi name the avahi daemon (on the AP) logs the following:
58 >
59 > Received packet from invalid interface.
62 > This is the output of rc-service hostapd start:
63 >
64 > Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
65 > Using interface wlp0s10 with hwaddr 00:14:a5:cb:4d:8a and ssid "LinuxAP"
66 > wlp0s10: interface state UNINITIALIZED->ENABLED
67 > wlp0s10: AP-ENABLED [ ok ]
70 > Any suggestions?
74 Forgot to mention, the card is:
75 Qualcomm Atheros AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter
76 It uses ath5k driver.
79 Fernando Rodriguez