From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup to a cold-swap drive
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:41:33
1 Hi & thanks,
2
3 On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 17:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
4
5 > > Can md use one internal and one external disk in a RAID 1 setup, with
6 > > the external disk not always there? Any other suggestions?
7 > >
8 > > thanks :)
9 >
10 > md would be extremely slow because it has to rebuild/resync the complete
11 > array.
12
13 so every time you unplug and re-plug the external disk, it will
14 essentially re-copy everything? Damn, there goes that fine idea!
15
16 > If you can live with just one big partition as a backup (probably with
17 > separate /boot), you should replace fstab and grub.conf on the backup
18 > medium and blacklist them from the files which you want to back up.
19
20 why wouldn't I backup fstab and grub.conf as well? If my internal disk
21 dies, I assume I'll swap them over, meaning grub and fstab will have to
22 be the same.
23
24 > Concerning the backup tool, I would use `rsync --delete` plus all
25 > relevant switches for permissions, times, acls, etc. If you use another
26 > tool, just make sure it doesn't put some metadata onto the backup medium
27 > and that it can delete files which no longer exist on the original medium.
28
29 I was thinking of rsync, but I didn't want to do it in an hourly cron
30 fashion, I was hoping for some "gamin" alteration-triggered idea.
31
32 > With regard to your requirement to just 'pull the cord' without
33 > umounting it:
34
35 I wasn't thinking of pulling the chord without unmounting, I was
36 thinking of the machine dying, hence leaving the disk in a non-shutdown
37 state.
38
39 thanks for the tips :) rsync will at least get me going quickly.
40 Yesterday I tried iotop to with dd - some slowness but otherwise quite
41 nice.
46 Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
47 so long they can't afford the disk space.