From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Blocking only unsuccessful ssh connections
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:51:14
1 Hi
2
3 2006/10/5, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>:
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:33:15 +0200
8 > "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >
10 > > I've got a virtual private server hosted somewhere and they're blocking
11 > me
12 > > because their intrusion detection system detects 10 ssh connections in
13 > less
14 > > than 2 minutes from my current IP. My question is: is it possible for an
15 > > intrusion detection system to differentiate between successful and
16 > > unsuccessful ssh connections so they don't block me? Of course all my
17 > > connections are successful.
18 >
19 > Well of course. It takes a bit more work, though. What are you trying?
20 > Proving to the hoster that they could do better? I guess they know that
21 > already (and are happy to bill you for better service).
24 I'm just trying to decide if I should keep my current hoster and find out if
25 this is common practice among hosters.
26
27 In short: length of conversation would be an indication. Doesn't work
28 > for simple firewalls that don't really work on full TCP streams. And I
29 > guess that's the reason why your hoster doesn't opt for something more
30 > elaborated.
31 >
32 > Maybe you should just run ssh on a different port?
35 Thanks for the idea, I'll take it into account.
36
37 Best regards
38 Jose