From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gparted leaves gaps
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 15:47:37
1 On Thursday, 1 April 2021 16:06:37 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 1 April 2021 11:13:07 BST Michael wrote:
3 > > You could check/set the alignment of logical-physical sectors yourself, by
4 > > making sure the start of your partitions is divisible by 8, instead of
5 > > adopting the GParted 1MB default boundary in any cases where it is not
6 > > necessary.
7 >
8 > So it seems to be the partition start points that matter; sizes have nothing
9 > to do with it. Makes sense, now I think about it.
10
11 Yes, it is the starting point which determines the first 512 byte logical
12 sector and those what follow it, are aligned with the first 4096 byte physical
13 sector and those that follow it.
14
15 When these are not aligned a write operation instructed by software could
16 straddle more than one physical sector, even when the data to be stored is
17 less than 4096B. This results in moving, deleting, writing more sectors and
18 data than necessary, a measurably inefficient process. This is noticeable on
19 spinning drive benchmarks and can get much worse on flash and SSDs with their
20 coarser erase Vs write pages (a.k.a. write amplification).
23 > I've just realigned all my partitions to accord with that insight. It turned
24 > out that most of them had small differences from 8^n sizes and start
25 > points, which would explain all those unpartitioned spaces.
26 >
27 > All well now. Thanks all.
28
29 I recall fighting against gparted's optimal alignment myself when partitioning
30 tools first started catering for 4K size sectors, only having to realign my
31 partitions as soon as I realised the error of my ways! ;-)