From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVMe drive and grub
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 07:41:03
1 On Saturday 09 Apr 2016 08:22:16 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On 9 April 2016 06:43:50 BST, peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote :
4 > > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:26:31 -0400, Poison BL. wrote:
5 > > > > --> /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
6 > > > > This one is what your UEFI's loading at boot. The lack of any
7 > >
8 > > other
9 > >
10 > > > > files in /boot/efi/boot/ makes me suspect Grub's not actually
11 > > > > installed in quite the right spot for the UEFI layer to load it.
12
13 As long as the correct kernel was saved as /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi, or the
14 MoBo set up to boot from /boot/efi/boot/my_NVMe_kernel_x64.efi, you shouldn't
15 have a problem booting up using the EFI boot stub.
16
17 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/efi-stub.txt
20 > > If
21 > >
22 > > > > you pointed grub2-install at the right place (the second command
23 > >
24 > > line
25 > >
26 > > > > at [1]), I believe you should have grubx64.efi there as well.
27 > > >
28 > > > Did you build GRUB with GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64"?
29 > >
30 > > Yes, as instructed in the wiki.
31 > >
32 > > > As you're using EFI, you may find life easier if you dispense with
33 > >
34 > > GRUB
35 > >
36 > > > and use Gummiboot. I find it (or the systemd version) far more
37 > >
38 > > friendly.
39 > >
40 > > Maybe I should give it a go - thanks for the idea. I did consider it
41 > > but then I was deterred by its description as "minimalistic".
42 >
43 > The usual complaint about GRUB2 is that it is too complex, so minimal is
44 > good here. I only have it installed to be able to boot my System Rescue
45 > ISO in an emergency, I've not found a way to go that without GRUB.
46
47 I have used GRUB2 to boot ISO images from USB drives and internal drives
48 without problem, but Gummiboot is less fiddly to set up. With GRUB2 you need
49 to pay attention in setting the path to the ISO correctly, or GRUB2 will error
50 out of course.
51
52 Unfortunately, you can't boot an ISO in true minimalist fashion just by
53 pointing to it with the EFI boot stub (the ISO needs to be mounted via a
54 loopback function).
57 Regards,
58 Mick