From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gtk+ package question
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 22:27:18
1 On 2021.05.29 17:58, Fannys wrote:
2 > On May 29, 2021 8:28:42 PM UTC, Jack
3 > <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > >I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
5 > >(nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally
6 > new
7 > >
8 > >package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed) with
9 > >currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available. I've done a quick
10 > >search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
11 > >anything relevant. Is this an intentional switch? I don't think
12 > there
13 > >
14 > >is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
15 > >path?
16 > >
17 > >Have I missed something?
18 > >
19 > >Thanks for any info.
20 > >
21 > >Jack
22 >
23 > For the part of the category change it is to my uderstanding that
24 > gentoo is slowly moving from x11 style categories to gui-* .
25 > Partly due to the wayland starting to become used more. I noticed
26 > with sway first on that.
27 > As for the slot part somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in.
28 >
29 > Regards,
30 > Marinus
31 Makes sense, but I would have expected version 4 to be added as a new
32 slot, and that action to be separate from the category switch.