From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What utility do you use to sync user files?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 03:46:05
1 On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/2/2012 14:33, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:21:40 -0500, Randy Westlund wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> What utilities do you guys use? Is there a better way to do this? It
7 >>> would be nice to move everything to the background, but I've already
8 >>> clobbered a few files by calling this in the wrong order
11 >> net-misc/unison
14 > I use unison to emulate Windows's "offline files" feature for several
15 > subdirectories in ~, and I can say it works really well. It took me quite
16 > some time to understand all of its options, and it has some very strange
17 > behavioral quirks which are easily worked around, but I like the what I
18 > ended up with. I currently have it set up to automatically synchronize a
19 > couple of locations on my notebook with a share on my file server about
20 > every five minutes. If the server is unavailable (i.e. I am not at home), it
21 > exits silently, but will try again at the next scheduled time. In the event
22 > of file conflicts (i.e. I changed the same file on the server and on the
23 > notebook between syncs), it sends me an email listing the conflicting
24 > filenames, and I can look into it later.
25 >
26 > --
27 > ♫Dustin
31 Unison is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Neil and Dustin.
32
33 Randy