From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What utility do you use to sync user files?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 03:16:39
1 On 12/2/2012 14:33, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:21:40 -0500, Randy Westlund wrote:
3 >
4 >> What utilities do you guys use? Is there a better way to do this? It
5 >> would be nice to move everything to the background, but I've already
6 >> clobbered a few files by calling this in the wrong order
7 >
8 > net-misc/unison
11 I use unison to emulate Windows's "offline files" feature for several
12 subdirectories in ~, and I can say it works really well. It took me
13 quite some time to understand all of its options, and it has some very
14 strange behavioral quirks which are easily worked around, but I like the
15 what I ended up with. I currently have it set up to automatically
16 synchronize a couple of locations on my notebook with a share on my file
17 server about every five minutes. If the server is unavailable (i.e. I am
18 not at home), it exits silently, but will try again at the next
19 scheduled time. In the event of file conflicts (i.e. I changed the same
20 file on the server and on the notebook between syncs), it sends me an
21 email listing the conflicting filenames, and I can look into it later.
24 ♫Dustin