From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation - partitions
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 20:13:30
1 On 04/09/2014 22:05, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > On 04. sep. 2014 16:52, Tom H wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> When booting from EFI you need a GPT boot partition (FAT - ugh) that
5 >>> actually contains the image that gets booted, so it needs to have room
6 >>> for at least a couple of kernels/initramfs - so that will be larger.
7 >>
8 > I'm working on getting a new motherboard, Will I still be able to have
9 > my boot filesystem on a flash-stick? Currently I have everything except
10 > /boot on LVM on top of Physical Volumes on unpartitioned raid volumes.
11 > Having a single drive with an odd size makes swapping drives around when
12 > they fail and drop out of the raid a hassle, and I do not want to waste
13 > 2G on every drive just to have a 2G boot partition. A flash stick (and
14 > another one for backup) is very pleasant to work with. Especially when i
15 > bork my initramfs or need to run maintenance without mounting my root
16 > filesystem. Will this work on an EFI board ?
20 I don't see why it won't work. You only need /boot for two things:
21
22 - at boot time, the boot loader must be able to see it so it can load
23 the kernel
24 - when you update grub, you will overwrite files to /boot
25
26 As for as the BIOS/EFI is concerned, a stick is like an hdd - just
27 another drive, nothing special about it. If signing is involved, it's
28 the boot image that gets signed.
29
30 I say go for it and test it out. What have you go to lose? The thing
31 will either boot off a stick or it won't, this test won't damage anything
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com