From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:38:18
1 On 09/26/11 16:01, Grant wrote:
2 > I'd like to hire a freelancer to work on my website. I don't want to
3 > provide access to all of my code, but instead only the particular file
4 > or files being worked on. Does anyone know of a development framework
5 > that would help facilitate that sort of thing? Would no shell access
6 > along with restricted SFTP access be the simplest, safest, most
7 > effective way to go?
8
9 Why not just send him the stuff he should be working on? He can run his
10 own Apache/PHP/whatever on his development machine. When he's done, he
11 can send you a tarball of the site files and maybe a SQL dump if you're
12 using a database.
13
14 That's the easiest one-off solution. If you're looking for something
15 more permanent, another idea is to have a "public" git repo somewhere
16 while the developers all work on their own workstations. SQL changes can
17 be made via numbered migrations, e.g.,
18
19 001-create_users_table.sql
20 002-create_nodes_table.sql
21 003-disregard_that_drop_users_table.sql
22
23 and devs can push everything to the git repo, as long as it's a
24 fast-forward (so they can't trash the repo history).
25
26 Once you're ready to move something live, an admin logs in to the
27 production box, does a `git pull`, and then runs the migrations or makefile.