From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:19:17
1 >> I'd like to hire a freelancer to work on my website.  I don't want to
2 >> provide access to all of my code, but instead only the particular file
3 >> or files being worked on.  Does anyone know of a development framework
4 >> that would help facilitate that sort of thing?  Would no shell access
5 >> along with restricted SFTP access be the simplest, safest, most
6 >> effective way to go?
7 >
8 > Why not just send him the stuff he should be working on? He can run his
9 > own Apache/PHP/whatever on his development machine. When he's done, he
10 > can send you a tarball of the site files and maybe a SQL dump if you're
11 > using a database.
12
13 The problem with that is he will need to test his code in the working
14 system. I need a way for him to be able to read/write to a certain
15 file or files within the working system, but have no read/write access
16 to any other files in the system.
17
18 Is SFTP perhaps the way to go for this?
19
20 - Grant
23 > That's the easiest one-off solution. If you're looking for something
24 > more permanent, another idea is to have a "public" git repo somewhere
25 > while the developers all work on their own workstations. SQL changes can
26 > be made via numbered migrations, e.g.,
27 >
28 >  001-create_users_table.sql
29 >  002-create_nodes_table.sql
30 >  003-disregard_that_drop_users_table.sql
31 >
32 > and devs can push everything to the git repo, as long as it's a
33 > fast-forward (so they can't trash the repo history).
34 >
35 > Once you're ready to move something live, an admin logs in to the
36 > production box, does a `git pull`, and then runs the migrations or makefile.