From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update blocked by kdebase-startkde:4
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 17:55:36
1 On 10/07/2016 19:43, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 12:22:32 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> The KDE project are notorious for that, or at least in my book they
5 >> are. I told them last year that if I'd allowed an embryonic KDE-4 out
6 >> the door the way they did I'd have been out of a job quicker than you
7 >> could say "quality control."
8 >
9 > The KDE project clearly stated that the first few KDE releases were not
10 > production ready and should be considered betas, at best. The problem was
11 > caused by distros that went ahead and included KDE 4.1 nonetheless.
12 > Probably because they liked the higher version number :(
16 The distros did worse than that - most of them just dropped KDE-4.1 on
17 the users and removed KDE-3. People were left with something that
18 couldn't possibly work.
19
20 What they should have done is marked KDE-4.1 as "optional/experimental"