From: Gregory SACRE <gregory.sacre@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Awesome vs Xmonad
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:39:56
1 Hi Man,
4 I was a huge fan of FVWM (loved the flexibility of it) and I tried to
5 switch to awesome.
6 After trying a bit to understand how the configuration script work
7 (about three days in my spare time), I understood how awesome (this
8 one was easy :-p) this wm is.
9 You can do pretty much what you want as the configuration script,
10 which is using the Lua script language, can load system commands (such
11 as conky, even thought I couldn't get it to work, but used native lua
12 scripts with the wicked.lua library) or run native code (I use this to
13 see the disk space, mpd songs, battery life, cpu usage with a graph,
14 ...).
15
16 One of the other things I really like in awesome, it's the fact that
17 you can mix up tiling windows and floating ones. You can define, for
18 certain window titles in the configuration file, the fact that they
19 are floating. Then, when you start them, they appear as floating
20 windows and not tiled as the rest of them. This is pretty much
21 interesting for applications such as Skype, gitk, mplayer, ...
22 As for other tiling wm, you can also assign tags (sort of virtual
23 desktops) to window titles so when you start it, it goes directly
24 there, leaving your actual tag clean with what you were doing.
25
26 I have never tried xmonad, I can just share my experience with awesome.
29 HTH,
30
31 Greg
32