From: Man Shankar <man.ee.gen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Awesome vs Xmonad
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:12:53
1 On 09:39 Wed 17 Dec , Gregory SACRE wrote:
2 > Hi Man,
5 > I was a huge fan of FVWM (loved the flexibility of it) and I tried to
6 > switch to awesome.
7 > After trying a bit to understand how the configuration script work
8 > (about three days in my spare time), I understood how awesome (this
9 > one was easy :-p) this wm is.
10 > You can do pretty much what you want as the configuration script,
11 > which is using the Lua script language, can load system commands (such
12 > as conky, even thought I couldn't get it to work, but used native lua
13 > scripts with the wicked.lua library) or run native code (I use this to
14 > see the disk space, mpd songs, battery life, cpu usage with a graph,
15 > ...).
16 Sounds great but when i customize the file and save it in
17 "~/.config/awesome/rc.lua" and reload, nothing seems to happen. I am
18 trying to get working with awesome-3.1. Am i missing anything.
19 >
20 > One of the other things I really like in awesome, it's the fact that
21 > you can mix up tiling windows and floating ones. You can define, for
22 > certain window titles in the configuration file, the fact that they
23 > are floating. Then, when you start them, they appear as floating
24 > windows and not tiled as the rest of them. This is pretty much
25 > interesting for applications such as Skype, gitk, mplayer, ...
26 > As for other tiling wm, you can also assign tags (sort of virtual
27 > desktops) to window titles so when you start it, it goes directly
28 > there, leaving your actual tag clean with what you were doing.
29
30 That is a required feature because some stupid programs dont go well
31 with the tiling concept. Another neat feature i found in default xmonad
32 was the fact that there was no gap between adjacent windows. I am sure
33 awesome should be able to do that as well, just that the default conf
34 doesnt. But, then again i really haven't dug in.
38 Regards,
39 Man Shankar <man.ee.gen(at)gmail.com>