From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 22:45:46
1 On 07/01/2015 21:06, Tomas Mozes wrote:
2 > On 2015-01-07 13:47, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 07/01/2015 13:52, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I am in the process of upgrading an old (~2010) gentoo server.
6 >>> The customer never wanted updates ... and now he wants ... *sigh*
10 >> Don't waste your time (you are already experiencing the full reason why).
11 >>
12 >> Backup data and configs, reinstall Gentoo, restore data and configs.
13 >>
14 >> Downtime? Of course. A few hours. Customer needs to understand he
15 >> brought this upon himself.
18 >> Trying to do it in-place will likely takes *days* and fill you with pain
19 >> and mucho downtime. This list, the forum, and planet are full of horror
20 >> stories of what it takes to do it and the issues you will run into.
21 >> Frankly, you do not need to prove you can do it (we know you can), and
22 >> you have much better things to do with your time (like proper billable
23 >> hours).
24 >>
25 >> It's worth repeating: the customer caused this, he must now feel the
26 >> pain and not you.
27 >
28 > Strange, I only have successful stories with upgrading old gentoo
29 > machines. If you have a machine which you update regularly then you know
30 > all the issues during the time and so upgrading "per partes" leads to no
31 > surprises but the same challenges you've handled before. But yes, it
32 > takes time.
33
34 I also have had good success with this, 100% in fact. As a technical
35 challenge it gives you awesome brownie points with geeky colleagues and
36 folk who understand what magic you had to do to succeed. I like that
37 feeling as much as the next Gentooer.
38
39 But Stefan is quite clear, this is a business arrangement. The manager
40 in charge probably couldn't care less about Stefan's skill in updating a
41 4 year old install. He probably wants heap, correct and fast and isn't
42 interested in picking any two. Easiest route, the one of least pain is
43 almost always a reinstall.
44
45 > Moreover, if you use configuration management like Ansible, you can even
46 > automatically merge changes when applications ship new configuration.
47
48 If the box hasn't been updated in 4 years, it hasn't been touched in all
49 that time either. It's virtually a certainty that Ansible came nowhere
50 near it. CM-managed machines tend to be well maintained and updated, or
51 short-lived (i.e. cattle)
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com