From: Tomas Mozes <tomas.mozes@××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:06:20
1 On 2015-01-07 13:47, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2015 13:52, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I am in the process of upgrading an old (~2010) gentoo server.
5 >> The customer never wanted updates ... and now he wants ... *sigh*
9 > Don't waste your time (you are already experiencing the full reason
10 > why).
11 >
12 > Backup data and configs, reinstall Gentoo, restore data and configs.
13 >
14 > Downtime? Of course. A few hours. Customer needs to understand he
15 > brought this upon himself.
18 > Trying to do it in-place will likely takes *days* and fill you with
19 > pain
20 > and mucho downtime. This list, the forum, and planet are full of horror
21 > stories of what it takes to do it and the issues you will run into.
22 > Frankly, you do not need to prove you can do it (we know you can), and
23 > you have much better things to do with your time (like proper billable
24 > hours).
25 >
26 > It's worth repeating: the customer caused this, he must now feel the
27 > pain and not you.
28
29 Strange, I only have successful stories with upgrading old gentoo
30 machines. If you have a machine which you update regularly then you know
31 all the issues during the time and so upgrading "per partes" leads to no
32 surprises but the same challenges you've handled before. But yes, it
33 takes time.
34
35 Moreover, if you use configuration management like Ansible, you can even
36 automatically merge changes when applications ship new configuration.