From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:30:26
1 Am 07.01.2015 um 20:06 schrieb Tomas Mozes:
2
3 > Strange, I only have successful stories with upgrading old gentoo
4 > machines. If you have a machine which you update regularly then you know
5 > all the issues during the time and so upgrading "per partes" leads to no
6 > surprises but the same challenges you've handled before. But yes, it
7 > takes time.
8 >
9 > Moreover, if you use configuration management like Ansible, you can even
10 > automatically merge changes when applications ship new configuration.
11
12 Thanks for that posting, it reminds me of some bigger issue I wanted to
13 discuss here for quite a while now.
14
15 Over the years I am now responsible for dozens of servers and VMs
16 running gentoo linux ... and I wonder how to efficiently keep track of them.
17
18 I learned my first steps with puppet and use it in a basic setup for my
19 own machines in my LAN. It seems to work better for many identical
20 servers, let's say in a hosting environment.
21
22 The servers at my customers are somehow similar but not identical:
23
24 different setups for services ... different update-cycles (which have to
25 be synchronized and shortened as we have seen in this thread!) ...
26
27 I look for a way of tracking all these systems:
28
29 a) central database/repo with all the systems and how to access them:
30
31 * unique system id
32 * what IP, port, ssh-key, etc etc
33
34 I use git for local tracking of /etc on most of my systems in the last
35 years, but I did never really come up with a clever way how to
36 centralize dozens of separate git-repos ... one repo per server pushed
37 to one central git-home on of my inhouse servers?
38
39 b) in addition tracking of let's say "rules" or "services":
40
41 * which server runs e.g. apache? So if there is a new security warning
42 out there for apache ... ask system "which servers/customers would need
43 that update?"
44
45 etc etc
46
47 c) when was my last access to that server? Have I looked into it lately?
48
49 (or more business-oriented:)
50 Do I even have to / does the customer pay for that?)
51 This should lead to some SLA-kind-of-thing, yes ... a bit off-topic for now.
52
53 -
54
55 Puppet is more oriented to push configs out to systems.
56
57 Maybe a combination would apply ... puppet for building the basement,
58 having stuff generalized (this path, that password/ssh-key ....)
59
60 and some other components to track what has been done over time.
61
62 I run OTRS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTRS ) for my daily work and
63 looked into their module "ITSM" (
64 https://www.otrs.com/homepage/software/otrsitsm-features/ ) lately ...
65 it allows to create "configuration items" (think: ITIL) etc, so far I
66 think this is a bit of overkill and not really fitting the size of my
67 business.
68
69 I'd love to keep it simple and CLI-oriented:
70
71 Gentoo allows to define (nearly?) everything via text-files, combined
72 with the cleverness of git (and maybe puppet) this should give me a way of
73
74 a) easily deploy new systems with configs according to some standards:
75 I want these packages/users/paths/files ...
76
77 b) track these systems: what boxes am I responsible for, what is out
78 there and failing? ;-) (not talking monitoring here ... just what are my
79 active systems out there)
80
81 from there I should slowly get into defining new contracts with my
82 clients including regular checks each 3 or 6 months ... what has to be
83 done, are there any bigger updates to do (think udev, baselayout ...)
84 and tell them if is possible to update the box within a few hours in
85 parallel to normal work or if we need a bigger maintenance window.
86
87 ---
88
89 I am sure there are many other gentoo-users out there with similar
90 challenges to face. And I am looking forward to your thoughts,
91 experiences and recommendations!
92
93 Best regards, Stefan