From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:48:07
1 On 07/01/2015 13:52, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > I am in the process of upgrading an old (~2010) gentoo server.
4 > The customer never wanted updates ... and now he wants ... *sigh*
8 Don't waste your time (you are already experiencing the full reason why).
9
10 Backup data and configs, reinstall Gentoo, restore data and configs.
11
12 Downtime? Of course. A few hours. Customer needs to understand he
13 brought this upon himself.
16 Trying to do it in-place will likely takes *days* and fill you with pain
17 and mucho downtime. This list, the forum, and planet are full of horror
18 stories of what it takes to do it and the issues you will run into.
19 Frankly, you do not need to prove you can do it (we know you can), and
20 you have much better things to do with your time (like proper billable
21 hours).
22
23 It's worth repeating: the customer caused this, he must now feel the
24 pain and not you.
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com