From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2007.0 installer problem (unpacking the stage tarball takes forever)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:11:02
1 On Thursday 06 September 2007, Whitt Madden wrote:
2 > I agree, I think the reason most don't want to go that route, is
3 > because they have to read the instructions.  I do think however, that
4 > if they offer it as a way to do the install, it should work.  I've
5 > had trouble with the graphical installer ever since it came to be.  I
6 > wonder why it has so many issues?
7
8 I would think that the ability and willingness to read instructions is a
9 prerequisite to running a gentoo system. And it should be
10 non-negotiable, much like the ability and willingness to read is a
11 prerequisite for a university education.
12
13 I fundamentally disagree with with the whole idea of a noob-proof gui
14 installer for gentoo. That's ubuntu's province and they are very good
15 at it. Gentoo caters to a different market.
16
17 I'm not being elitist, I'm being pragmatic.
18
19 alan
22 Optimists say the glass is half full,
23 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
24 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
25
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
28 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list