From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:54:02
1 · Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>:
2
3 > Quoth the Willie Wong
4 >> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:30:40AM -0700, Darren Kirby wrote:
5 >> > > > Well, I'm the upstream author, and _I_ think there should be
6 >> > > > different (ie: newer) version offered. Good enough?
7 >> > >
8 >> > > No, not good enough, as that doesn't matter at all. All that matters
9 >> > > is, what's in the tree. And the latest stable version is 0.8, no matter
10 >> > > what you think. The question remains: Why should a different version be
11 >> > > offered?
12 >> >
13 >> > Sorry Alexander, I just don't get where you're going with this. Version
14 >> > 0.8 was released September 27, 2004! There have been 4 major new releases
15 >> > since then, which include many bug fixes, and new and improved features.
16 >> > 0.8 is old and busted, 0.9.3 is the new hotness!
17 >>
18 >> Guys,
19 >>
20 >> Just to prevent the heat from escalating, may I offer my observation
21 >> that the two of you seems to be arguing about completely different
22 >> things?
23 >
24 > Heat? I'm not mad, just confused ;)
25 >
26 >> Alexander (and I, likewise) probably misunderstood Darren's question
27 >> from the start: when he posted, I thought his expectation that "emerge
28 >> dir2ogg" should bring in a newer version than what was offered was a
29 >> lack of understanding of how the portage tree works (well, some of my
30 >> friends do actually think that the package management system [aptget,
31 >> rpm, portage, etc.] would actually be smart enough to automatically
32 >> go on the internet and find and install the latest version of a
33 >> program, so I wouldn't put any misconception past human capacity).
34 >
35 > Please note Willie, I am not the original poster. I jumped in here because I
36 > wrote the script that the OP is asking about, and I agree the current stable
37 > version is long outdated.
38 >
39 > That said, I _do_ realize that the OP was asking a flawed question. I was
40 > simply responding to Alexander: "Why do you think, that a different version
41 > should be offered, when you "emerge dir2ogg"?".
42
43 But with a wrong answer :) In the tree, the latest stable is 0.8, check
44 out: <http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=dir2ogg>. There *IS*
45 no 0.9.3. Granted, there *should* be a 0.9.3 version, but there just
46 isn't. And stable is 0.8, not even 0.9.2.
47
48 As I wrote: Why does he think, that a different version than 0.8 should
49 be offered, when he runs "emerge dir2ogg"?
50
51 > If he means "why should portage automatically go grab the newest upstream
52 > version", then I agree with his implication: it shouldn't.
53
54 That's what I wrote, yes.
55
56 > That's not what he
57 > wrote though.
58
59 It is.
60
61 > The wording of his comment reads like he is asking why portage
62 > should offer a more current version of the software,
63
64 That's what I asked maxim. Why does he think, that a different version,
65 than the latest stable in-tree-version (ie. 0.8) should be offered
66 when he runs "emerge dir2ogg"?
67
68 Alexander Skwar
69 --
70 All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list