From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rust problem when upgrading Firefox : solved
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 00:29:11
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 181015 Dale wrote:
3 >> Just curious, did you notice this little part?
4 >> "LLVM ERROR: IO failure on output stream: No space left on device"
5 >> You may want to make sure you are not out of disk space
6 >> wherever your tmp directory is or out of ram if you use tmpfs.
7 > Yes, I did, as I said, & added 2 lines to 'package.env'.
8 > That solved that problem, which was surprising :
9 > my explanation is that FF itself is too big to use 'tmpfs'
10 > & this then squeezes out any other pkgs to be compiled along with it,
11 > even a tiny virtual. Otherwise, the 1st problem was USE flags.
12 >
13 > The new FF requires some very big items, which took a long time to emerge :
14 > Rust (59), Clang (11), Llvm (15), FF (33) : total 118 min .
15 > The total download was c 500 MB . LO is modest in comparison.
16 >
17 > Now to get some groceries, then I'll try it out.
18 > The big question is whether I can still group tabs,
19 > whether directly with FF or via some add-on (whatever they're now called).
20 >
21 > Thanks for offering a bit of help.
25 After I went back and reread your post, I see that you mentioned that.
26 Funny how I missed that but saw the out of space part.  :/
27
28 I to used tab groups.  I tested every tab group add on I could find.
29 I'll go ahead and tell you now, none of them are like the old tab group
30 add on.  However, the closest I can find is simple tab group.  Here's a
31 link.
32
33 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-tab-groups/?src=search
36 I used to use tab utilities to help manage tabs.  Sometimes I have a LOT
37 of tabs open.  I now use this.
38
39 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/?src=search
40
41 I might add, I also use profiles so that I can log into certain sites as
42 more than one user.  The new Firefox has a nifty new thing called
43 containers that can help with that.  Here is the best add on I could
44 find for that.
45
46 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?src=search
49 Instead of me typing, youtube some of those.  It helps a LOT to see what
50 others are doing.  I recommend at least two videos each.  More if you
51 want to really get a wide range of ideas.  The way I did this, I
52 bookmarked everything and then started fresh after the upgrade.
53
54 You may also want to look into conex add on if simple tab group isn't to
55 your liking.  I didn't like it but . . .   Also Tree style tab has a
56 group add on that works with it, wasn't for me but you may like it.
57
58 On tmpfs, I have the following set to compile on the hard drive instead
59 of tmpfs.  This is my env file.
60
61 www-client/firefox  ../env/notmpfs.conf
62 www-client/seamonkey ../env/notmpfs.conf
63 app-office/libreoffice ../env/notmpfs.conf
64 sys-devel/gcc ../env/notmpfs.conf
65 dev-qt/qtwebengine ../env/notmpfs.conf
66 dev-qt/qtwebkit ../env/notmpfs.conf
67 sci-electronics/kicad ../env/notmpfs.conf
68
69 Those are packages that over time, I've learned either requires to much
70 ram or requires to much when being built with other packages.  Usually,
71 if it is only one, they can fit.  However, any two of them ends up being
72 compiled at the same time causes problems.
73
74 Hope that helps.
75
76 Dale
77
78 :-)  :-)
79
80 P. S.  Here is my USE flags for Firefox.  It works well here.  That
81 said, I may could reset some of these given them major changes in recent
82 Firefox.  Just a suggestion if you should need it.
83
84 [ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-62.0.3::gentoo  USE="dbus
85 gmp-autoupdate screenshot startup-notification system-harfbuzz
86 system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -bindist -clang
87 -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver
88 -hardened -hwaccel -jack -lto (-neon) -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-icu
89 -test -wifi"