From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 02:29:21
1 On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 21:53 -0400, CJoeB wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > First, thanks for all the input regarding CFLAGS.
5 >
6 > Can I be honest here? My technical skills don't seem to be anywhere
7 > near on a par with most of the people on this list. I've been using
8 > Gentoo since 2004 and the reason I do, is for the control that I have
9 > over my system.
10 >
11 > Because this will be a new computer and I may essentially void the
12 > warranty if I alter the pre-configuration, I seriously thought about
13 > leaving the status quo and putting up with Windows 7. However, I would
14 > lose practically as much as losing my first born! I would have to put
15 > up with all the things that bug me about Windows and I wouldn't have all
16 > the programs that I love in Linux.
17 >
18 > If I am a "chicken shit" and still want Linux, I could install another
19 > distro, like Kubuntu, where you can be almost brain dead and still get a
20 > running Linux system, but then I would sacrifice the control that I know
21 > and love about Gentoo. I'm not willing to do that either .... at least
22 > not without a fight.
23 >
24 > I've always managed to get my Gentoo system running and maintained, but
25 > I've always used an x86 iso and stage 3. I've googled and didn't really
26 > find a definitive answer to my question so, I am bowing to the experts
27 > on this list and asking you guys to bear with me and help me out.
28 >
29 > What would you recommend that I used for the iso an stage 3? As a
30 > reminder my computer is a Dell XPS 8300 with an Intel Core -i7-2600
31 > processor. I'm a little confused between the choices x86 (which seems
32 > to only apply to Pentium 4 systems and only utilizes 32-bit processing),
33 > amd64 and ia64.
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance for your help.
36 >
37 > Regards,
38 >
39 > Colleen
42 An option that might sidestep any warranty issues could be to install
43 linux into virtualbox/vmware etc and run it on a barebones win7 - with
44 the power of an i7 and it running full screen, you would not even
45 notice its not on the bare metal!
46
47 BillK