From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:52:29
1 On 09/18/2010 05:45 PM, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
5 > breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
6 > grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.
7 >
8 > The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
9 > which the system was on standby most of the time during work days and at
10 > night.
11 >
12 > free -m
13 > total used free shared buffers cached
14 > Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
15 > -/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
16 > Swap: 6142 978 5163
17
18 That looks bad. I suspect it's the semantic desktop thingy that's at
19 fault (I guess it's database and indexing service must eat tons of RAM),
20 since I have it disabled and this is how it looks here after 5 days uptime:
21
22 total used free shared buffers cached
23 Mem: 5973 3534 2438 0 1056 1685
24 -/+ buffers/cache: 793 5179
25 Swap: 917 0 917
26
27 (The important value is "-/+ buffers/cache: 793")
28
29 This is with KDE 4.5.1 and "semantic-desktop" USE flag disabled.